SOCW 6051 Anti-Racist Social Work Practice – Assignment Solution
Discussion 2: Anti-Racist Social Work Practice
In the wake of the murder of George Floyd, the Black Lives Matter movement, and the rise of anti-Asian sentiment, many organizations and institutions have posted anti-racist statements on their websites. The statements typically condemn racism and describe the ways in which the organization is combatting racism and working toward allyship with communities of color. Walden University, the National Association of Social Workers (NASW), and regional NASW chapters have all issued statements.
But what might anti-racism look like for a single social worker? How would you convey your commitment to social justice and your professional beliefs and values? For this week’s second Discussion, you draft your own personal statement of anti-racist social work practice.
- Review the Learning Resources on racism and on the principles of anti-racist practice and social justice.
- Read and reflect on the sample anti-racist statements from educational institutions and organizations in the Learning Resources.
- Consider how you would frame and articulate your own anti-racist statement and the words you would use.
- You can use Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, or another software to present visuals in addition to your written statement if you would like.
By Day 4
Post a 150- to 200-word personal statement that reflects your anti-racist social work practice.
(F.Y.I I AM AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN AND I AM AN ALLY TO THE LGBTQ+COMMUNITY)
Also record and post a 1- to 2-minute video to explain the choices made in your statement. Specifically:
- Why did you choose the wording you did?
- In what ways does the statement express your beliefs and commitment to anti-racist practice?
- How does your statement address the principles of anti-racist practice, as described in the textbook?